Cape Jervis has many colourful plants worthy of a place in a coastal garden but unfortunately they can be hard to find at nurseries. Check out the new red plant signs along Flinders Drive (near the big ugly MAC sign) to find plants you like and ask for them at good native nurseries. Like many exotic plants, natives benefit from pruning after flowering. If you don’t they can become really straggly. Check out the difference between an unpruned plant (left) and one photographed about 4 weeks after pruning in my “city” garden. If you are not sure how much to prune, try removing 20-50%, just make sure there are leaves left behind on all the branches. Some long flowering local native options that benefit from pruning include Vittadinia sp, Senecio lautus, minnie daisy (Minuria leptophylla) and coastal tobacco (Nicotiana maritima).
Yellow buttons (Chrysocephalum apiculatum) before (left) and after (right) pruning
Next get together, Sat Oct 10 (Spring wildflower walk) & Sun 11 (TBA)
We welcome new volunteers. Contact Carolyn Schultz 0423 213 481.
(Photos: C. Schultz, leaves and buds; flowers; Cape Jervis )
Although the yorrell is common in SA, we only know of a handful around Cape Jervis … and these are much smaller than ones growing elsewhere (2-3 metres, vs 8-15 metres). Once again, the harsh soils and wild, windy weather at the Cape have worked together to reduce the size of the local specimens. The multiple trunks shed their bark in short ribbons higher up, exposing smooth white wood; lower down the bark persists like a collar around the base. Leaves are long and narrow, hairless, often glossy, sometimes with a red margin. Each of the up to seven white flowers in a cluster have two rows of stamens, and no petals. Their buds are smooth with a cap shorter than the base part, while the gumnuts are barrel-shaped. ‘Gracilis’ means slender or graceful, describing the habit of the yorrell beautifully.
(Photos: E. Cousins, plant, cluster of young fruit)
Known by many other names such as black nightshade, this erect, bushy weed is well-known to many of us, because it spreads so easily on roadsides, waste ground, cracked footpaths etc. It is native to a band of countries from Morocco to India. Don’t confuse this weed with deadly nightshade (Altropa belladonna). Blackberry nightshade has pendant clusters of white flowers (with a hint of purple) and slightly hairy leaves. The flowers of deadly nightshade are individual. Leaves are a dull green, also with a purplish tinge. The fruit are dull green when young (see photo), but darken to a dull purple later. See the way the 5 little sepals (leaf like tissue surrounding the flower) sit apart on the top of the fruit? This helps distinguish this solanum from others.
The coastal display garden at the start of the Heysen trail is taking shape. What a change a few months can make. Thanks to the team from District Council of Yankalilla for installing the new bench and cutting the walking paths through “the lower loop”. Support from the AMLR-NRM helps us keep on top of the weeds and propagate and buy our seedlings. Our small group of volunteers, together with the green army, planted 900 seedlings this year! Thanks everyone who helped. The only disappointment was how dry the soil was so we had to lug water in 10L containers to give the seedlings a drink. We are very pleased for all the rain in late June and mid July. We’ve learnt a lot in our 3 years about how critical watering and hand weeding is for survival, especially on the sandy lower loop. If you want to know more about the plants we are growing or the weeds we are removing, give us a ring or come out and join us at one of our working bees!
Lower loop paths after the planting. A well earned rest at the new picnic table.
We welcome new volunteers. Contact Carolyn Schultz 0423 213 481.
(Pomaderris paniculosa ssp. paniculosa)
(Photos: E. Cousins, habitat at Cape Jervis, a pomaderris behind hibbertia; https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6194/6123759156_85ef3c5dfd_m.jpg, close-up of leaf stem )
This waist high shrub is one of the hardy survivors around Cape Jervis. It can grow in windy coastal locations as well as woodland and mallee, and doesn’t mind rocky ground. Despite this, the shrub is now extinct in NSW, and endangered in Victoria. The dull green, oval-shaped leaves are about 1 cm long, and look furry. This is because of fine white hairs along and below the leaf edges. The hairs on raised veins, the younger stems and buds look rusty, giving a brown-green look to the shrub. Little flower buds occur in loose hanging clusters (see third photo above), and the tiny 3 mm flowers that follow the buds are yellow; look for these shortly in spring!
(Photos: E. Cousins, plant, seed head; http://ausgrass2.myspecies.info/content/piptatherum-miliaceum)
This perennial grass can be recognized by its long, wiry stems. These stems can be up to 1.5 metres tall, and are segmented, looking very much like bamboo! Whereas the leaf-sheaf is smooth, the leaf-blade surface is ‘scaberous’ (rough, as if it is covered with scabs). The plant occurs as a loosely tufted clump. As can be seen from the second photo, the seed stem has several spirals of branches; branches in turn divide into secondary branches which bear clusters of the grass flowers. Green/purple flowers then seeds appear over summer and autumn. Originally from Eurasia, this grass is now fairly widely distributed over the bottom half of Australia. It likes disturbed sites, and has frequently spread from plantings used to stabilise mine dumps, etc.
Mobdro App opportunity for Android & iPhone ((first-class options) – in this busy schedule of our lives that one element which makes your life a bit enjoyable and a laugh is your device. A mobile smartphone manner tons more just than a conversation tool, but all kind of entertainment may be easily seen and played to your device. you may pay attention to tune, play video games and what not? you may easily get alongside many alternative packages for Mobdro. mobdro app alternatives
quality opportunity Apps for Mobdro (Android and iPhone)
those opportunity programs for Mobdro will assist you to give an entertainment ride for the equal.
Mobdro App alternative for windows & iPhone:
Hotstar for Android & iPhone App:
- Hotstar gives a better platform that allows to release many serials hosted on channel big name Plus.
- It runs both on Android and iPhone.
- you could without problems circulation English and Hindi TVDs too.
- And if you are an identical freak then you could effortlessly showcase sports activities channels too.
- also with the down load choice, you can without problems download the suggests and watch it later.
- you may without difficulty go for one-of-a-kind language options like English, Hindi, Kannada, Tamil, Telugu, Marathi, Bengali, and many others.
- The utility is available on play store and apple save, and it’s miles unfastened to down load.
Vidmate for Android and iOS:
- You need now not pay any subscribing amount or membership as the utility is free of cost.
- you could easily hit preview to check the best of the movie or the tv show covered up.
- With smooth filter out options, you may pick out films and television indicates consistent with your need and navigate it.
- you may effortlessly mark a manipulate to the downloading by clicking at the direct download symbol tab gift inside the right corner of the Vidmate utility.
- you can now download complete movie, films and watch tv indicates which you might have overlooked.
- there’s no compromise with the quality of the movie so that you can without difficulty download the movie in the decision you want.
- It comes with a terrific consumer interface gadget which makes it better for the users to use the application.
- With the help of the filters choice, you may choose exclusive genres, tags, places, language you need the video to be downloaded in.
- additionally with the help of good customization placing, you could personalize your kind of video.
- also if you want to down load the mp3 then open it and press the down load button gift within the pinnacle right nook.
- if you wish to flow more films on extraordinary clients like YouTube, NowVideo, VK, PutLocker and others that Hubi is the quality application for you.
- The Hubi App offers a higher go platform to host one-of-a-kind videos at the net.
you could without problems download the alternative motion pictures which seem
- the satisfactory for you and watch it later while you are loose.
- you could have clean filter out alternatives and seek alternatives.
Netflix Android & iPhone App:
- The Netflix application is available in smooth to use interface system however but, it isn’t always freed from cost to down load.
- you can move as many videos in one-of-a-kind languages and HD video first-rate.
- you can stream one-of-a-kind videos throughout the globe and also store it offline to etch at your preferred time.
- The Showbox application continues on updating the library normal. therefore, you could effortlessly see a whole lot of content material this is being published in versions.
- you can move movies, television serials, and video songs too.
It includes fewer commercials that create fewer disturbances whilst you are streaming any new movie.
you could take your entertainment to a special level you could movement one of a kind movie and down load it via different links supplied to you on specific client software.