(Photos: E. Cousins; growth habit, flower cluster; Cape Jervis)
Come spring, you will see this little shrub flowering freely around Cape Jervis. It has 1 cm long blue green leaves, which are arranged very symmetrically around the many stems. The tiny, creamy-white flowers are arranged in balls about 3cm wide, at the end of those stems … you can see how many little flowers there can be in a flower cluster in the second photo above. Each little flower has 4 petals and yellow-tipped stamens. Under each cluster you will find four leaves (called floral leaves) which are slightly larger than the stem leaves; the inner two should have hairy edges. So look for tidy little shrubs covered in white this spring as you walk around Cape Jervis, and see if you can identify this riceflower.
COMMON BRIDAL CREEPER
This creeper smothers native plants. Dormant over our dry summers, it sends out long, vigorous, twining stems after autumn rains. These form a thick, dense mat spreading over shrubs and up trees. The root system consists of a central stem, with many tubers attached. Like the leaves and stems above ground, these underground tubers also form a thick mat. In fact, the root system can be up to 90% of the plant’s total mass.1 So while the creeper is preventing sunlight reaching its hosts above ground, the root system is preventing root growth of plants and seedlings below ground. The green leaves appear in groups on short side branches on the long stems. White flowers in spring are followed by berries which ripen to red. These contain black seeds… one plant can produce thousands. Birds feed on the berries, and excrete the seeds elsewhere, helping the plant spread. Biological controls (rust fungus and beetles) are often used to limit the spread of this pest; digging doesn’t guarantee removal of all the tubers. For more information see the PIRSA fact sheet http://pir.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/145594/Fact_Sheet_BridalCreeper.pdf
1 Bridal creeper (Asparagus asparagoides) weed management guide, at http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/invasive/weeds/publications/guidelines/wons/a-asparagoides.html
Valentine’s Day has long gone, but that does not mean we cannot remember our loved ones or watch romantic movies. We can do this anytime we want, just by watching those good old movies at home, with a warm cup of coffee in our hand. Romantic movies of Hollywood are the best because the stories are depicted in such a beautiful way, making it realistic and dream-like at the same time. As there are many romantic movies in Hollywood, there are numerous movie apps as well. Download Showbox App, out of all of them it is the best App.
The Top 5 Romantic Hollywood Movies
There are numerous romantic Hollywood movies, so choosing between them is a very difficult task (mind you, they all are really good), let alone ranking them in the top five positions. But do not worry as it has already been done here. So, here is the list of top 5 romantic Hollywood movies you definitely should watch:
- Love Actually
- How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
- The Notebook
So, that is it. It is natural that some people might disagree with some of the rankings like The Notebook would be one of them for sure. Many people would want this movie to be at the top of the list, but there are reasons to rank the movies like that. Let’s discuss all the movies in brief and their reasons to be ranked accordingly.
- Titanic-This is the movie every single person residing on this planet might have heard about and seen it also! The story of this movie revolves around a boy named Jack Dawson, an artist, and an upper-class girl named Rose.They fall in love while on the ship named Titanic, but the story ends in a tragedy. If there is anyone who hasn’t watched this movie till now, then they surely live under a rock.
- Love actually-What’s the perfect thing to do during Christmas (apart from celebrating, obviously)? It is watching romantic movies and to be in love because Christmas is the perfect time to fall in love. Well, this is what happens in the movie. It’s Christmas, but here, instead of one couple falling in love, eight couples fall in love, and even fall out of love, have crushes, heartbreaks. This movie shows the hardships of being in a relationship, but the characters do not lose hope and increase their respect for each other. The movie is based in London, perhaps the best place to be during Christmas.
- Twilight-Well, if you do like this movie, then you don’t have to be mushy about it. There are people who do not agree with the movie, anyhow, whether you like it or not, this movie is definitely worth watching once in your lifetime. This movie is loved by almost all teenage girls. This is a supernatural romance story revolving around a teenage girl named Bella Swan and her lover Edward Cullen, who is a vampire.
- How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days-This movie is not the typical type of romance comedy you would expect for. It is a refreshing and modern take on relationships which will definitely be worth watching.
- The Notebook-This is a book-based movie starring Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling. This movie is not just any romcom where a poor guy falls for a rich girl. This movie is much more than that, casting a spell and weaving the magicthat will have a lingering effect on you.
There are many more movies that are definitely worth watching, some even on repeat! Some of them are A Walk to Remember, The Fault in Our Stars, La La Land, P.S. I Love You, The Holiday, etc.
Reasons Why Showbox is the Best
The app Showbox Apk shows all the latest movies and even lets you stream and then download those movies. They show all the new released movies so that the viewers never miss out any movie. Their movies are all in high definition, which gives us the best experience while watching the movies.