Testosterone is primarily a male steroid sex hormone which is responsible for various vital processes in human body. Female ovaries also produce testosterone but in a very minimal quantity.
Testosterone plays an essential role in the male body as compared to the female body. Testosterone controls the growth of penis and testicles and also the growth of hairs on face and other parts the body. Testosterone is both androgenic and anabolic, means it cause male characteristics and development of growth muscle. During the age of 19-20, the testosterone level in male remains on its peak.
After 30-35, the level begins to fall gradually. It is necessary that level of testosterone remains balance as it affects human body if its quantity decrease or increase. Production of testosterone decrease with aging. Testosterone causes many symptoms to occur when the level falls below the normal range. Testosterone level can be known by blood test and and if it comes out to be 400-1000 ng/dl, its the balance level of testosterone.
If Testosterone level is more than balance level than its called higher Testosterone level and if it is lower than the balance level than its called lower testosterone level. As compared to higher-T, low-T is more effective on the male body, but testosterone is essential for males and females as well.
Low testosterone in man:
9 out of 10 males have low-level testosterone and 40% – 45% of males above the age of 45 years have a low level of testosterone. Every year low testosterone level effects millions of men around the world and the age parameter of affected people is decreasing slightly. Low testosterone also known as hypogonadism. Primarily hypogonadism is when the problem arises in tests. This is also know as primarily testicular failure or male menopause. secondary hypogonadism is when the problem arises in the pituitary glands or hypothalamus. These glands in the brain produces, FSH and LH which signals tests to produce more testosterone.
Some causes of low-T in man are:
1. Some hormonal disorder.
3. Kidney disease
5. Chronic lever
6. Some kind of infection.
8. Injury to the testicles (injury in testicles due to some accident or while taking part in a sport)
9. testicle cancer or treatment of testicle cancer
low Testosterone doesn’t just show up instantly; side effects start to come up. first, you start feeling sluggish all the time, getting tired quickly. don’t feel like taking part in sports and lack of interest in sex. all are the symptoms of low testosterone level. Low-level Testosterone leads to sterility in males.
To find out if anyone has a low testosterone level, observe and match how many of these symptoms of low-t (testosterone) have you experienced.
Some symptoms of low-T are:
1. Decreased stamina
2. Easily tired (energy get drained instantly)
3. Infertility (reduced sperm count)
4. Softening of testicle (testicles feels smaller than usual)
5. Feminine body deposition fat
6. May lead to infertility (incapable of producing offspring)
7. Scanty hair distribution (even growth of hair on face and other parts of body)
8. Bones will be fragile (easily get fractured)
9. Decreased muscle count
10. Mood swings or irritation.
11. Difficulty achieving the erection or maintaining it.
12. Low fluid level
If you answered 3-4 you in the above list of symptoms. are good to go, if you answered 4-6 than low-t may show up and finally if you answered above than 6 than low-t is likely to happen.
Low testosterone level also shows up in females but is not always symptomatic and produce serious side effects as males. Woman also experience some symptoms of low T. Some of them are:
1. Aging- testosterone level fall gradually with the increase in the age.
2. Too much use of oral contraceptives.
3. Adrenal insufficiency.
4. Hypothalamic amenorrhea- the loss of menstrual period in females of reproductive age. (caused by factors such as stress, extreme weight loss, and excessive exercise.)
5. impaired interaction between pituitary glans, adrenal glands.
6. Ovaries being removed surgically.
7. Hysterectomy- surgical removal of the uterus.
8. Cognitive difficulties
10. Low libido
Low-t level in the woman is usually seen during menopause and in woman testosterone level in woman decrease with estrogen and other essential hormones.